The company's roots go back to 1860. This is when Georg Dorst opened a production facility in Oberlind near Sonneberg in Thuringia for producing simple machines for the ceramics industry, then still primarily an artisan trade. A reference list from 1895 is many pages long and already reports on company activities throughout Europe, as well as in South America and Asia. The catalog from 1897 covers 80 pages and over 150 different machine types. Around the turn of the century, the company was converted into a family-owned corporation. The corporation continued to prosper until WWII broke out. Even then, DORST Technologies presses were already a game changer for manufacturing certain types of ceramic products, and DORST Technologies became the worldwide header in the field of wall and floor tiles. Expropriation after WWII forced the Dorst family to leave their home and their company. But the entrepreneurial spirit and vision remained intact. In 1949, it was possible to acquire a vacant factory property in Kochel am See - today's head office and administrative center. Rebuilding the company started in the summer of 1950 with just 18 employees. The following years saw a rapid comeback. In addition to the head office in Kochel am See, important productions and subsidiary companies were established in Bad Kötzting, the USA and in China as well as a series of distribution and service branches in different parts of the world.
For almost 170 years, the company has been in the hands of the Dorst family.
On April 1, 2019, the charitable DORST-LÖCHERER foundation became the sole shareholder with the head of the foundation's Board of Directors being Mr. Hubert H. Löcherer. An executive management team manages everyday operations.